All resident Indian individuals are now mandatorily required to link their Aadhaar to their mutual fund investments [notification no 439 dated June 1, 2017 which amended the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Rules, 2005]
The Mutual Fund Companies have informed all their customers that unless investors update their Aadhaar number, their investments will be rendered “inoperative”.
(Update: The deadline for linking Aadhaar to Mutual Fund investments was 31st March, 2018 till the Supreme Court’s ruling on 13th March, 2018 extended it indefinitely.)
What does inoperative mean? Your existing investments will stay intact, but will not be able to make fresh purchases or sell your units until you have linked your Aadhaar.
How to link Aadhaar with Mutual Funds investments
Here’s our easy guide on how to link Aadhaar to all your Mutual Fund investments. You can do this online, in-person or via SMS.
OPTION 1: LINK YOUR AADHAAR ONLINE
Before you start linking your Aadhaar online, you need to ensure:
- Your email id and mobile number should be registered in your mutual fund investments (if you’re a Clearfunds customer, we’ve already taken care of this!)
- Your mobile number should be the one you registered with your Aadhaar.
You will need to do this four times – visit each of the four websites below so and complete the 2-minute process at each Registrar and Transfer Agent (RTA)
Once you do so, all the mutual funds serviced by each RTA will have your Aadhaar details.
OPTION 2: LINK YOUR AADHAAR THROUGH SMS (only Karvy has this facility)
You can also update your Aadhaar using the SMS at Karvy. Just send an SMS to Karvy at ✆ ✆ ✆ +91 9212993399 from the mobile number registered with your Aadhaar and Mutual fund folio. The SMS should say:
ADRLNK <space> PAN Number <space> Aadhaar number <space> Y
Example: ADRLNK AABPA4321Q 123456789012 Y (“Y” in this message stands for your express consent to authenticate and seed your Aadhaar across all Karvy serviced Mutual Funds)
Karvy will then complete your linking process. Once you’re done with Karvy, don’t forget that you will still need to link your Aadhaar at CAMS, Franklin Templeton, and Sundaram BNP.
OPTION 3: IN-PERSON LINKING OF AADHAAR
If your email ID or mobile number are not registered or for some reason you cannot update it online, you will need to submit a physical form to start your Aadhaar linking process.
To link your Aadhaar in person, download and fill the forms below and submit these at your nearest CAMS, Karvy, Sundaram BNP and Franklin Templeton service centre.
|CAMS Offices||Karvy Offices||Franklin Offices||Sundaram Offices|
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Aadhaar linking to Mutual Fund investments is not mandatory for NRIs.
- Aadhaar linking can be only be done offline for organisations and non-individuals.
- If you have multiple holders in a folio you will need to link Aadhaar for each of the holders and not just the primary holder.
- If you fail to link your Aadhaar by 31st March 2018, your existing folios will the frozen and you will not be able to redeem or make any fresh transactions till you finish the Aadhaar linking process.
APPENDIX: MUTUAL FUNDS SERVICED BY EACH REGISTRAR & TRANSFER AGENT (RTA)
|Aditya Birla Sunlife||Axis||Franklin Templeton||BNP Paribas|
|DSP Blackrock||Baroda Pioneer||Sundaram|
|ICICI Prudential||DHFL Pramerica|
Liked this? Read our blog